Specialization: Image, Culture, Communication
Yannis Skarpelos studied Sociology and is teaching at the Department of Communication, Media and Culture since 1996. He is founder and director of the New Media Lab, associate Director of the MA program in Cultural Administration, and Director of the Drama Center. Since 2014 he is Head of the Department of Communication, Media and Culture. He is also member of the Board of International Visual Sociology Association, and member of the Hellenic Semiotic Society.
Has taught at the graduate programs “Media Psychology” (Panteion University) and “Cultural Units’ Management” (Hellenic Open University).
Has published the books: Terra Virtualis: The Construction of Cyberspece (1999), Historical Memory and Greekness in Comic Books (2000), and Image and Society: From Social Photography to Visual Sociology (2012). Has also published several papers in journals and conferences.
- Introduction to Culture and Cultural Studies (1st Semester)
- Visual Culture Studies (2nd Semester)
- Culture Lab Ι: Museums and Heritage (5th Semester)
- Visual Culture: Greek Visual Culture of the 20th Century (8th Semester)
- Visual Culture (MA in Cultural Management)
- Introduction to Data Practices (MA in New Media and Journalism)