The program aims at providing specialized courses, research and production of knowledge, in the field of cultural management in a wide sense. The program lasts 2 semesters plus a semester for writing the MA thesis.
The program focuses on a critical approach to culture, an interdisciplinary approach combining theory and practice. A wide spectrum of knowledge and skills is made available to students, who are interested in design and programming, direction and organization of cultural institutions and events, both in private and public sectors. On the other hand, the program aims at widening -through research- the borders of existing knowledge in fields like:
- Institutions, functions and activities of culture in any and all of their aspects (aesthetic, social, legal, regulatory, economic, political, ideological, etc.).
- Principles, procedures and managerial as well as organizational techniques of cultural institutions.
- Specific managerial and organizational aspects of certain cultural sectors, from museums and cultural heritage to visual and performing arts.
- Cultural policy in national and international level, international educational and cultural relations, cultural diplomacy.
- Cultural communication, cultural audiences, and cultural consumption.
- Cultural aspects of information society, as well as the application of IT in cultural communication and management.
Upon this basis, the MA in Cultural Management aims in producing specialized personnel, combining in depth theoretical knowledge on culture, creation and heritage, with a broad acquaintance with the methods, the practices and the major discussions about cultural management.